The first high-temperature carbon fibre mold has been seperated from its plug. It has turned out perfectly with no defects.
Today we completed three big milestones towards constructing the airplane.
- One fuselage forward-half mold has been infused with epoxy resin
- The hatch test box has passed its pressure+cold test
- We pressurised a test double-paned window to destruction just to see what it takes to blow up one of these windows.
It will take me some time to download and edit the video of these events, so I will put more details in future blog postings. Here are a couple of pictures of today’s events.
The second test box has now been completed. This box is intended to test the hatch with pressure and cold.
The rebreather system development is continuing. We have sucessfully tested some more refinements to the design. Jeff Bozanic has been invaluable, contributing expertise and identifying some diving hardware which will be useful to us.
James Murray, Jeff Bozanic and Morgan Sandercock discuss the rebreather components.
The fuselage plugs have been painted in their final coat of paint. There is still a lot more sanding and surface preparation before we can start construction of the mold.
As predicted last week, testing the window with full pressure and cold temperature has blown up the test box with no damage to the window.
The test box was filled with offcuts of blue foam and sealed up. More blue foam was placed on top to hold the dry ice. The dry ice surface temperature was -100F and it froze the window surface down to -70F. Then we pressurised it to above the fuselage design pressure and held that pressure for 30 minutes.
Then we increased the pressure until the box exploded. Watch the 30-second video above.
Jim Murray and Pat McLaughlin have been working on phase 2 of the project for several months now. We have only just gotten around to adding them to the “team” page on the web site.
Patrick is the owner of Mountain High, which makes the best oxygen systems available for regular gliders. He has been working on the cabin pressurisation system for the Perlan.
Jim has been working with Jeff Bozanic (who will be added to the team page soon) on the rebreather system.
We pressurised a test window for the first time today. We ran it up to the full design pressure although we did not test the (higher) proof pressure. There were no leaks and no problems with the window.
I expect we will find that the window is unbreakable. The test box will almost certainly fail before the window does.